在多為外國同事的辦公室裡,英文溝通也許會令那些對英文掌控較弱的同事,感到不小的壓力。因此,我們除了在平時增加英文對話的練習,也可以嘗試記下不同的商用英文慣用語,以面對各種商業情境。
1: (to) seal a deal | 成交;達成協議
同樣的意思,我們也可以使用 'close/strike a deal' 、 'close a sale'、或是 'close a contract'。
A: We have been trying for a while to interest the buyer in this new product range.
我們不斷嘗試讓買家對新的產品系列感到興趣。
B: Perhaps we may need to lower the price slightly to seal a deal. What do you think?
為了能順利成交,或許我們應該稍微降低價格。你覺得呢?
2: (to) introduce the meeting agenda | 介紹會議議程
A: Welcome to the meeting, everyone. Let me start by introducing the meeting agenda.
歡迎各位參與本次會議。首先,讓我來介紹本次會議的議程。
3: (to) implement something | 執行某事;實施某事
'implement' 和 ’execute’ 都有執行的意思,但彼此還是有細微的差異。
■ implement:常用在政府或公司執行某個政策、計畫、或法規,更著重於「開始實施或執行」這項動作。
■ execute:偏向「照著計劃執行」,著重於執行或履行某一計劃的過程。
A: When are we going to implement the new pricing policy?
我們何時開始實施新的定價政策呢?
B: As soon as the finance department gives us the green light.
一旦財務部門確認,我們便可開始執行。
4: (to) minimize errors | 錯誤最小化
A: I want to minimize errors for the new production process.
我希望盡量減少新的生產流程的錯誤。
B: Understood. I will make sure the production team thinks through the entire manufacturing process before we start.
好的。我會確保生產部門在開始生產前,已確認過完整的生產流程。
5: (to) maximize profits | 盡量增加利潤
A: If we want to maximize profits, we need to rethink which vendors provide the best quality and pricing.
如果我們想要使利潤最大化,我們需要重新思考,看看哪一個供應商能夠提供最好的品質,和最合理的價格。
B: Yes, I agree. We will start to review terms with all of the vendors and discuss the issue again next week.
我同意,下週我們會開始評估,並再次討論所有供應商的合約。
6: (to) identify potential bottlenecks | 找出潛在的瓶頸
A: This is a new product, so we need to set up the production process carefully.
這是項新的產品,所以我們需要謹慎地建立生產流程。
B: Yes. We will definitely need to identify any potential bottlenecks in the production process.
沒錯,我們必須在生產流程中,找出所有可能潛在的瓶頸。
7: (to) resolve an issue | 解決爭議;解決問題
A: We are still finding that the vendor is not providing us with the right components for this production run.
我們依舊認為,供應商並未向我們提供適合此次生產的正確零件。
B: I see. I suggest then we delay production until we can resolve this quality issue.
了解,那我建議在解決品質問題前,我們先暫緩生產。
8: (to) focus on the critical factors | 鎖定關鍵因素
A: We may need to do a deeper analysis of the market to understand why sales are stalling.
我們也許需要針對市場反應,做更深入的分析,以了解銷售停滯的原因。
B: Yes. Good idea. We need to identify and focus on the critical factors.
好主意。我們需要了解問題所在,並鎖定那些關鍵點來解決問題。
9: (to) build trust | 建立信心
A: It will take time to build trust in the new technology.
我們需要一些時間建立對新科技的信心。
B: Yes, I agree. It may first need strong government support before the general public will accept it.
我同意,在獲得大眾接受前,我們需要政府大力支持這項新科技。
10: (to) corner the market | 壟斷市場
A: Our new range of kitchen equipment is very competitive and the initial market response is very positive.
我們新的廚具系列非常具有競爭力,初期的市場反應也相當良好。
B: Yes. I think we could even corner the market if we slightly reduce prices.
沒錯,若我們稍微調降價格,我認為我們甚至能夠壟斷市場。
11: (to) operate a business | 經營、營運
A: Is this company involved in the travel industry?
這間公司有在做旅遊產業的生意嗎?
B: They have invested heavily in several hotel chains, but don’t directly operate any hotel
businesses.
他們持續投資了許多不同的飯店,但尚未真正經營任何一間飯店。